Earth Day is April 22nd!
We want to encourage everyone to celebrate in a way that adheres to social distancing and shelter in place laws.
Some ideas to celebrate:
- Plant Native and Adapted Plants and Trees. Search the Plant Database from AgriLife Water University:
- Read the Homeowner’s Guide to Herbicide Selection for Lawns publication from Texas A&M AgriLife Extension to choose the best herbicide. Keep in mind, overusing herbicides and fertilizers affects our watershed. Watch this video from NTMWD to learn more.
- Bring a Bag to Pick Up Trash While on a Walk.
- Always Pick up your Pet’s Poop!
UPlantIt Garden Boxes
Do you love gardening but aren’t quite sure which plants to choose for your landscape to blossom? Having trouble finding plants that look great and thrive season after season? Take the guesswork out of finding the right plant for the right spot with perfect plant combinations by purchasing a custom-designed, water-saving UPlantIt boxed garden!
Each Box comes with 32 plants that grow well in North Texas. You can choose a pre-planned design or create your own. Edible and Shade garden varieties are available.
For more information:
Virtual Plant Classes!
Texas A&M AgriLife’s Water University will move all live courses to Facebook Live in observance of important shelter-in-place ordinances related to the outbreak of COVID-19.
Join them every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, as their expert horticulturists and water resource professionals Go LIVE to answer your landscaping, gardening and water conservation questions. Visit their website for a list of upcoming classes.
Irrigation Regulations Seasonal Change
April 1st – October 31st
- Water no more than twice per week
- Less than twice per week is usually adequate
- Watering is prohibited from 10AM to 6PM
- Additional landscape watering may be provided by hand-held hose with a shutoff nozzle, dedicated irrigation drip zones, and/or soaker hose provided no runoff occurs.
Sign up at Water My Yard to know when to water and when to wait.
Looking for a Creative activities to do with your kids?
- “What Native Plant are You?” quiz – Texas Smartscape
- Calendar Art Contest – Keep Texas Beautiful
- Bat Conservation International Kidz Cave
- Amaze Your Brain at Home Perot Museum
- Ranger Rick National Wildlife Association
- Virtually Texas Video Tours Fish & Wildlife Association
- Virtual Field Trip List
- National Park Virtual Tours
- Home Based and Distance Environmental Education