Please keep in mind that when you are pulled over by a Police Officer that law enforcement can be dangerous work. Do not assume that the officer knows you are a law-abiding citizen, officers must be cautious at all times.
When signaled to pull over:
- Pull over as far to the right as safely possible. This allows the officer more area to safely walk to your car.
- Turn on the interior light in your vehicle if the stop occurs at night.
- Place your hands on the steering wheel until the officer can make a safety evaluation while he or she is approaching your vehicle.
- Avoid making any sudden movements. Don’t reach into the glove compartment, under the seat, into a purse or briefcase until the officer tells you that it is OK.
- Please stay in your vehicle unless asked by the officer to do otherwise.
- If you are carrying a weapon, advise the officer of the weapon and where it is located.
- Always follow a police officer’s instructions.
Stopping at night, especially in a secluded area or along a dark stretch of road, can heighten the tension both for you and for the officer. Officers do not object to a driver proceeding to the nearest well-lit area. Simply acknowledge the officer by turning on your flashers and drive at a reduced speed and stop as soon as practical.
If asked to exit the vehicle, walk to the rear of your vehicle to the side away from traffic, or as directed by the officer. Use the vehicle as a barrier between you and on-coming vehicles for your protection.
The officer will ask you for at least two pieces of information… your driver’s license and proof of insurance.
Please do not attempt to argue with the officer. This may increase the tension in an already stressful situation. Depending on the reason the officer initiated the traffic stop, you may or may not be issued a citation. If you receive a citation you will be advised of your options in making a disposition of the citation.
Once the traffic stop is finished, walk carefully back to your vehicle and watch for on-coming traffic. When a safe opportunity exists, carefully merge back into the flow of traffic.