How Much Water Does your Irrigation System Use?
Try these calculations for your yard!
Print out this Water Usage Chart or use the calculations below.
First, Determine what kind of sprinkler head yo have:
- Spray Head – Up to 3 gallons per minute (per head)
- Rotor Head – Up to 9 gallons per minute (per head)
Then, Plug in the numbers below:
- # of sprinkler heads ______ x # of gallons per minute (see above) ______x # of minutes scheduled per use ____ = # of gallons emitted per use
Do you have drip irrigation? it uses up to 1.5 gallons per minute in each 10×10 area. Plug in the numbers below if you have drip irrigation:
- # of sq. ft. of irrigated lawn____ = # of gallons emitted per use x # of minutes scheduled per use ____ = # of gallons emitted per use.
Any variance above your normal household consumption could indicate any of the following:
- Incorrect irrigation timer settings
- A power surge could reset a timer to factory defaults, causing it to run more frequently than expected.
- Check weekly and daily timers
- Check for multiple timer programs (A, B, and C)
- Broken or damaged sprinkler heads
- Leaky or running toilet. (Public works has free tablets to help you check for toilet leaks)